OFFICE OF THE
BOARD OF SELECTMEN
One South Main Street
P.O. Box 670
Belchertown, MA 01007
Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
2018/2019 BOARD OF SELECTMEN
Nicholas O'Connor, Chairman
13 Maplecrest Drive, Belchertown, MA 01007
General Government Nicholas O’Connor, Chairman
Board of Assessors; Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board; Board of Registrars and Elections; Inspection Services; Moderator; Rent Control Board; Tax Title Committee; Technology Advisory Committee; Town Accountant; Town Clerk; Treasurer-Collector; BCTV; IT Department; IDFA; Finance Committee; EDIC; Town Common Lighting Committee.
The Chairman of the Board of Selectmen is an Ex-Officio Member of Library Board of Trustees and Liaison to Clapp Memorial Library.
George D. “Archie” Archible, Vice Chairman
143 Chauncey Walker Street, Belchertown, MA 01007
DPW & Veterans’ Services George D. “Archie” Archible, Vice Chairman
Department of Public Works (Highway, Snow Removal, Sidewalks, Street Lighting, Cemeteries, Transfer Station, Maintenance, Wastewater Treatment Plant); Non-School Buildings; Town Common; Town Clock; Pioneer Valley Transit Authority; Pioneer Valley Planning Commission; Professional Engineering; ADA Committee; Willard Stebbins Trust Fund for Lake Vale Cemetery; Veterans’ Service Advisory Board; Veterans’ Graves; Memorial Committee; Belchertown Opioid Awareness Task Force (BOAT).
Gail Gramarossa, Clerk
39 North Main Street, Belchertown, MA 01007
Human Services, Education Gail Gramarossa, Clerk
Conservation Commission; Community Preservation Committee; Agricultural Commission; Board of Health; Lakes Committee; Cultural Council; Fair Committee; Historic District By-Law Commission; Historical Committee; Trail Stewardship Council; Pathfinder School Administration and School Committee; Belchertown School Department and School Committee.
ED Boscher, Member
14 Springfield Road Belchertown, Ma 01007
Miscellaneous Edward Boscher, Member
Family Center; Scholarship Committee; Council on Aging and Senior Center; Housing Authority, Skate Park Committee; Personnel Board.
Brenda Q. Aldrich, Member
P.O. Box 1462, Belchertown, Ma 01007
Public Safety; Parks, Beach & Recreation Dept./Committee Brenda Aldrich, Member
Police Department; Police Candidates’ Review Committee; Civil Defense; Fire-Rescue Department; Animal Control; Animal Control Advisory Board; Law Account; Parks, Beach and Recreation Committee and Recreation Department
- Approval of all bills and payroll before they are paid by the Town Treasurer. Signing all notes, bond issues, abatements, and weekly town warrants which itemize all town department bills and payroll.
- Overseeing procedures to "override" or "exempt" the Proposition 2 1/2 tax limit and setting the classification rate for taxing different types of property in Belchertown.
- Issuance of business licenses. Granting and issuing licenses and permits which include liquor licenses; common victualler's licenses; tag sale permits; transfer station permits; Class I, II and III auto licenses; amusement licenses; and entertainment licenses. Refer to the end of this booklet for a complete listing of licenses and where to obtain them.
- Investigation into the conduct of any town department.
- Control of town property (except school property).
- Calling town meetings by the issuance of the Town Meeting Warrant.
- Awarding bids and contracts.
- Appointment of the Town Administrator and most department heads. Oversight of the Department of Public Works, oversight of construction projects.
- Approval of placement and construction of public utility facilities.
- Acting as License Commissioners, Police Commission, Fire Commission, and Highway Commissioners.
Meetings of the Board of Selectmen, as well as any town board, are open to the public.
Tag Sale Permits -- No Longer Required